Disclosure: I was given some Maitake Frondosa Mushrooms from Mycopia Mushrooms to create this recipe.
Watch how to make this vegan steak and eggs recipe.
Below is a transcript of the video above. The full recipe is listed after the transcript.
Mushrooms are a popular choice when it comes to meat substitutes and I’m going to be using these maitake mushrooms as the steak in this recipe. Maitake mushrooms can be hard to find sometimes. I usually find them in Whole Foods or the higher-end supermarkets. I want to thank Mycopia Mushrooms for sending me these mushrooms to make for this recipe.
To make the steak you’re going to cut off the ends of the maitake mushrooms and slice them lengthwise into strips and if you want you could cut these further down into smaller pieces. I chose to use maitake mushrooms because of their shape and when you cut them down they simulate little pieces of steak better than other types of mushrooms.
Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add some vegetable broth to the pan. Add the recao to the pan and cook for two minutes. I’ll also include a link to the recao I use. Add the mushrooms and some garlic, adobo, vegan Worcestershire sauce and stir together and cook for 15 minutes.
Before you cook the tofu, it is important that you drain the liquid from the tofu block. Crumble the tofu with either a potato masher or a food processor and set it aside. Heat some vegetable broth in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the crumbled tofu along with some turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, black pepper, and salt. Let it cook for 10 minutes. Add the cooked mushrooms and mix and cook for 2 more minutes. You can serve the eggs either with the mushrooms mixed in or on the side. There you have your own plant-based version of steak and eggs.
Learn more about the Mycopia Maitake Frondosa mushrooms here.
Get the recipe for my recao here.
- 8 oz Mycopia Maitake Frondosa mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon recao
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon no salt adobo
- 1 ½ teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 block firm tofu
- ¼ cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- Cut the ends off the maitake mushrooms and slice lengthwise into strips.
- Heat a pan over medium high heat. Add two tablespoons of the vegetable broth to the pan.
- Add the recao and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, adobo and vegan Worcestershire sauce and stir together.
- Cook for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Drain the liquid from the tofu block with a tofu press or place the tofu on a plate lined with several sheets of paper towels. Place some more paper towels on top of the tofu then put a weighted object on top to squeeze the liquid out and let sit for 1 hour.
- Crumble tofu with a fork, potato masher or in a food processor. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable broth in a medium pan over medium high heat.
- Add the crumbled tofu and all of the spices and mix well to combine evenly.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve eggs with either the mushrooms mixed in or on the side.
Have any questions or comments about these vegan steak and eggs? Share them in the comments below!