Watch how to make this vegan coquito.
Below is a transcript of the video above. The full recipe is listed after the transcript.
The holiday season is a time for family and friends to get together and spend quality time catching up while enjoying lots of delicious food and washing it down with some holiday drinks. When you think of holiday drinks, egg nog comes to most people’s minds.
Latinos celebrate the season with our own version of egg nog called coquito, which is just like egg nog except we add a tropical flair to it by using coconut milk as opposed to regular milk. Traditional coquito contains evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk in addition to the coconut milk, cinnamon, rum and in some recipes eggs.
But I’m changing up the traditional coquito recipe and making my version 100% vegan and dairy free that doesn’t have any eggs or milk in it. Get your glasses ready because I’m making some non-dairy coquito just in time for the holidays.
I’m going to start by adding the evaporated coconut milk to the blender, coconut cream, sweetened condensed coconut milk, vanilla, nutmeg, and white rum to taste. You’re going to blend it until it’s nice and creamy and smooth.
I’m going to put this in the refrigerator so it’s nice and cold when I serve it. It’s a nice creamy texture and a nice blend of the coconut and cinnamon with a little kick from the white rum.
- 2 cans (7.4 oz can) sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 1 can (12.2 oz can) evaporated coconut milk
- 1 can (14 oz can) coconut milk
- 2 cans (5 oz can) unsweetened coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- white rum to taste (optional)
- Add all of the ingredients except for the rum into a blender.
- Blend until the ingredients are well mixed.
- Stir the rum into the mixture by hand and taste. The amount of rum is based on your taste preferences so you can add as much or as little as you want.
- Pour the coquito into an airtight glass bottle.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Have any questions or comments about this non-dairy and vegan coquito (Puerto Rican eggnog)? Share them in the comments below!