Disclaimer: I was given apples from Stemilt Growers to create this recipe. All my opinions are my own.
Watch how to make this Grilled Mojo Tofu and Apple Bacon Salad.
Below is a transcript of the video above. The full recipe and links mentioned in the video are listed after the transcript.
In this video, I am making a grilled mojo tofu with an apple bacon salad. I am also making a vegan honey lemon vinaigrette to top off the salad. This salad is perfect for the fall season we’re in. Not only is it fall, it’s apple season.
I live in Miami so it doesn’t feel like fall weather here but I can still enjoy the apples of the fall season brings. This video sponsored by Stemilt Growers. They provided me with the gala apples that I’m using in this recipe. They grow a variety of apples, pears and also cherries.
Now let’s get this recipe started. I’m going to start off with the tofu. I already drain the water out of it. Whenever you are working with tofu, you have to remember to drain the water from it. I have a little make shift tofu press but if you want you can buy a tofu press. I’ll put a link to it down below.
So since my tofu is already drained, I’m going to slice it into quarter inch thick slices.
Now I’m going to put the sliced tofu to the side and I’m going to work on my mojo marinade.
First, I’m going to take some vegetable broth and pour it in my blender. I’m going to add an onion, some lemon juice, some garlic, oregano, cumin, some sazon.
Now the sazon I’m using my own recipe. It’s also low in sodium so I will include a link to it down below. Some salt.
So I’m going to blend these ingredients and I’ll have my mojo marinade. So you want to make sure all of the onion is chopped up and blended in to the marinade before you take it out.
I’m going to put some of the marinade in the bottom of this container just so that the tofu pieces that are on the bottom actually get some marinade. Now I’m just going to layer tofu here on the bottom just to make sure that all the pieces get some of the marinade.
I’m going to cover this and put in the refrigerator and let it marinate overnight. Now while the tofu is marinating, I’m going to start on the salad. I’m going to make the dressing first. I’m going to take some fresh lemon juice, vegetable broth I like to use vegetable broth instead of oil in a lot of recipes just because it’s healthier and less fattening.
Some vegan honey. I’ve included a link to this vegan honey that I use down below, just in case you can’t find any vegan honey because it is hard to find sometimes.
Some thyme, a little bit of salt and a little bit of pepper. I’m just going to whisk this up. I’m going to put in the refrigerator until I’m ready to use it.
I’ve already sliced some Brussel sprouts so I’m just going to add them to the bowl here. You can do this by hand but I did mine with the food processor because it’s just so much easier and faster to do it with food processor. I’m just going to add some romaine lettuce, some walnuts, dried cranberries and now I’m going to add my vegan bacon.
I already premade my bacon so I’m not going to show you how I did it in this video, but I will link my other video where I show you how to make this bacon. Now I’m going to add the gala apples. I put them in some lemon juice so they don’t brown. Now I’m just going to mix all of these ingredients together.
So I have my grill heated and ready to go for the mojo tofu. I’m going to grill this for six minutes on each side and then it’s done.
There you have it. Grilled mojo tofu with an apple bacon salad. I’ve included a link to this recipe in the description below. Thank you Stemilt for providing me with apples for this recipe.
- 1 block firm tofu
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons sazón
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Brussel sprouts sliced
- 2 handfuls romaine lettuce chopped
- ½ apple thinly sliced
- ½ cup walnuts chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup cucumber diced
- 3-4 slices cooked rice paper bacon crumbled
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon vegan honey
- 1 teaspoon thyme grounded
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Drain the liquid from the tofu block with a tofu press or place the tofu on a plate lined with several sheets of paper towels. Place some more paper towels on top of the tofu then put a weighted object on top to squeeze the liquid out and let sit for 1 hour.
- Once all of the liquid has been drained, pat the tofu dry with some paper towels.
- Slice the tofu in ¼ inch thick slices.
- In a blender add the vegetable broth, garlic, onion, cumin, oregano, sazón, lemon juice and salt and mix until smooth.
- Pour the marinade into a storage container and place the tofu slices in the marinade and close the container. Shake the container to make sure that all of the tofu is covered in the marinade.
- Place in the refrigerator and let marinate overnight.
- Heat a grill pan over medium high heat.
- Place the tofu slices onto the grill and cook for minutes. Flip the tofu over and continue to cook for another minutes.
- Remove the tofu from the grill and serve with the salad.
- In a bowl add all of the ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- Pour over the salad.
- In a bowl add all of the ingredients and toss together.
- Add dressing and toss to coat.
- Serve with grilled mojo tofu.