Watch how to make these Cherry and Coconut Ice Cream Bars.
Below is a transcript of the video above. The full recipe is listed after the transcript.
In honor of the Olympic Games I’m churning up a patriotic frozen dessert to enjoy while cheering on the red, white and blue. It’s my cherry and coconut ice cream bars and I’m going to show you how to make it layer by layer.
I’ll start by making the cherry ice cream for the red layer. Add some unflavored plant-based milk, frozen dark cherries, coconut cream and vegan honey or agave nectar into a blender. I’ve included a link in the description below where you can find the vegan honey.
Blend those ingredients until smooth. Grab some popsicle molds and pour some of the cherry ice cream mixture into the bottom of each mold. Freeze the mold for at least 20 minutes or until the cherry ice cream is a little solid so that the next layer of ice cream doesn’t go through the cherry layer.
Wash out the blender and add the coconut milk, coconut cream, vegan honey, coconut flavoring, frozen coconut and blend. Remove the popsicle molds from the freezer and pour some with a coconut ice cream mixture into each mold on top of the cherry layer creating a second layer. Put the mold back into the freezer and freeze for another 20 minutes.
In the meantime, add the blue majik powder to the remaining coconut ice cream mixture in the blender. Blue majik is an extract from spirulina that helps with inflammation and I’m using it as a natural food dye for the blue layer in these bars. I’ve included a link to the blue majik powder down below.
Blend until the mixture turns completely blue. Pour the blue ice cream mixture into each mold and freeze for a few hours until solid and then enjoy!
- 2 cups frozen cherries
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream
- 1 cup plant-based milk
- 2-3 tablespoons vegan honey
- 2 cups frozen coconut
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons coconut cream
- 4-5 tablespoons vegan honey
- ¾ teaspoons coconut flavoring
- Half of the white ice cream
- 1 teaspoon blue majik powder
- Add the ingredients for the cherry nice cream into a blender and blend until well combined.
- Pour some of the ice cream into a popsicle to form the bottom layer. Freeze for at least 20 minutes or until the cherry layer is a little solid to prevent the layers from mixing.
- Add the ingredients for the coconut nice cream into a blender and blend until well combined.
- Pour some of the mixture in the popsicle mold to create the second layer. Leave some room in the mold for the third layer of ice cream. Freeze for at least 20 minutes or until the coconut layer is a little solid.
- Add the blue majik powder to the remaining coconut ice cream in the blender and blend until it has turned completely blue.
- Pour into the popsicle mold and freeze for at least 5 hours or until solid.
- Serve frozen and enjoy!
*Each color of ice cream must be made in separate batches and in a clean blender carafe.
Have any questions or comments about these cherry and coconut ice cream bars? Share them in the comments below!