The autumn season is a transition period where many cities in the northern states begin experiencing unpredictable weather changes. During this time, we still have some days of summer weather so we still want to eat something light. Then from one day to the next the temperature drops 20 degrees and we are searching for our jackets and something hearty and warm to eat.
I remember living in New York City during the early autumn months and wanting to eat my favorite summer dishes and treats when those sporadic summer weather days came. It was great because it was another day I could hold on to summer and enjoy something light before the dreaded cold weather returns.
This butternut squash salad is perfect for the tricky weather during the autumn season. Using fresh butternut squash adds some heartiness that you look for in a warm meal that fills you up while the greens keep it light. Plus, butternut squash is in season now so you can get it fresh and cheap!
When it comes to butternut squash, soup is the probably the number one dish that most people make with it. Butternut squash soup is delicious to eat and I enjoy it very much, but I also enjoy roasting it alongside other root vegetables. Roasting the butternut squash with some red onions and seasoning them with garlic, herbs, salt and pepper is just a simple yet flavorful punch to this simple dish.
Quick, easy and tasty are the three qualities that all salads should have and believe me this one has all three so you can’t go wrong. You can top this salad with any dressing but my blood orange vinaigrette dressing adds a refreshing citrus flavor to this savory salad. You can get the recipe for blood orange vinaigrette dressing here.
When you make this salad make sure to make enough for your entire family because when they see it they are going to want to eat it and may not leave any for you to enjoy.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups butternut squash cooked
- 1 red onion sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon herbs de provence
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch arugula
- 1 bunch chopped kale
- 3 tablespoons raw sunflower seeds
- ½ cup walnuts chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Peel and seed the butternut squash and cut into cubes.
- Cut red onions into thick slices.
- In a bowl toss the butternut squash, red onions, olive oil, garlic, herbs de provence, salt, and pepper.
- Place butternut squash cubes and onion mixture on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 30 minutes or until tender, turning the squash over after 15 minutes.
- Add the arugula, kale, sunflower seeds, and walnuts in a bowl and mix.
- Place the butternut squash and red onions over salad.
- Top with sesame seeds and dressing.
Have any questions or comments about this Butternut Squash Salad? Share them in the comments below!